Sunday, January 8, 2012

the VEGGIE pita

the first time i had this Salani brought it down for me and i didn't even look at what was in it i just ate it and devoured the whole thing in about two minutes flat. afterwards i went to ask her how she made it and said to myself "whaaaaat...? weird" but just trust me it tastes great and is a way for me to help me get in my pound of fresh veggies in every day cause you can stuff this thing with as many veggies as you can.

1 whole grain pita (we use the whole wheat kind from buy low 1$ a pack and really yummy)
olive oil mayo (be generous, i don't like mayo but in this sandwich it tastes way better if you are generous)
Dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard (be liberal with this as well)
ketchup (yes weird i know but trust me)
Italian herb seasoning (if you don't have this blend I've used plain oregano and it work just as good)
pepper
red onion-chopped finely (if you don't like onions i can't promise this sandwich is for you, be generous)
sliced tomato
avocado (sometimes i can't afford or just don't have one available and you can leave it out and it's still good)
cucumber slices
sprouts (again optional, but it's really yummy with them)
spinach
romaine lettuce

warm or lightly toast the pita, them slather on all the dressings (i start with mayo then mustard, then ketchup) then add the pepper and the herbs so they stick evenly, then the onions so they'll stick evenly too. Then add the rest of the veggies and chow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment